Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy 2013

Wow, I cannot believe I have been Intermittent Fasting for over a year now.  Cannot think of a time when I have stuck to an eating habit for over a year.  Yes, I was a vegetarian for 8 years, but that was easy and different in comparison.

I have decided I need to make some tweaks.  For one, I'm not a big fan of low carb/paleo per se, however I definitely would like to consume as little wheat and sugar as possible. This has been a goal of mine for a while, but it never really sticks. I think instead of practicing zero tolerance for these foods, I can consciously avoid them, but keep a cheat day every week to eat pies and ice cream and pizza!

Next up, eating breakfast sometimes.  On days following a 24 hr fast I see no problem in eating a nice breakfast.  I think it helps me psychologically recover from some of the ill effects of fasting.  Usually I practice a Leangains 16/8 window post 24hr fast.  I had some trouble in the fall this year with sugar binging.  I think chronically being in a fasted state the brain's lack of glucose starts to wreak havoc with willpower. I think upping eating frequency (but not necessarily calories) helps on the day after.

Alcohol, specifically red wine is my main vice.  I have to work this year to reduce consumption. Not only are there a ton of useless calories in wine, BUT it also interferes with sleep, which throws metabolism out of whack, so... 2 glasses a day?

Lastly, a little bit of calorie restriction may be necessary.  Not 40% reduction, but maybe 10-15%.  Will have to work on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment